Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Final Call For Half Marathon Entries

30th March 2011 – A last call is being issued today for entrants to the Bord Gáis Energy Cork City Half Marathon, taking place on June Bank Holiday Monday, the 6th of June. The half marathon, a new addition to this year’s event, has been capped at 1,000 entries and is filling up fast.

The new 13.1 mile half marathon course will see entrants starting on Ringmahon Road before continuing down to Blackrock Castle, on to Blackrock Village, up the Marina and finally joining the main marathon course close to Pairc Uí Caoimh.

Race Director Jim O’Donovan said that race organisers have been delighted with the response to the new half marathon. “Together with Bord Gáis Energy, we are continuing to develop the Cork City Marathon into the most accessible running event in the country. We’ve had a huge response to our new half marathon but we have had to cap the number of participants at 1,000 this year. We don’t have many places left, so we’re calling on people to get their entries in before it’s too late.”

Ger Cunningham, Bord Gáis Energy Sports Sponsorship Manager, said that the half marathon offered a great opportunity for runners to make the step up from running in the relay. “A lot of the interest we’ve seen in the half marathon has been from people who have completed the relay previously and are looking to challenge themselves a bit more this year. The new half marathon offers people a new challenge before they think about tackling the full course.”

People entering the relay, half marathon and full marathon have until Thursday the 31st of March to avail of a €20 discount on the full entry fee. For more information, visit www.corkcitymarathon.ie.
-ends-

Issued on behalf of Cork City Council by:

H+A Marketing + PR

For further information, please contact:

Tom O’Sullivan – 086 302 1286 / 021-4666200 tosullivan@hagroup.ie

No comments:

Post a Comment